Author Website in a Box is still in beta, and I welcome any and all feedback on the site, the install process, or any other related topic.
Before I tell you how to install it, I have a few words of warning.
- This project currently requires a fair amount of technical skill to install. You'll need at least some experience with WordPress, or be comfortable with installing and configuring unfamiliar software.
- Installing AWinaBox will erase the existing site. Whatever you have there will be gone forever , so be sure to remember to make a backup first (or better yet, only install this on a fresh WP site).
- All AWinaBox-based sites come with the same username and password for the admin account. You will need to change the password right away so that strangers won't be able to log in to your site. (The site will also have my admin account. This is the account I used to build the site before packaging it up for you to download, and I left it in case of emergencies.)
If you do not have the technical skills required, or if you want to install AWinaBox on an existing site, contact me so we can discuss how I can help. I will install AWinaBox on a new site for $150. I can also install AWinaBox on your current author website, it just requires extra care, and since each site is different, I will have to look at your site first.
Here's how to install it.
First, download the site package for AWinaB.
Second, decide on the site where you want to build the site, then install and activate these two plugins. You will need them to install the site:
Third, go to the "All-in-One WP Migration" menu page on your site, select its import menu, and choose the option to import the the site package you downloaded.
Fourth, when the import process succeeds (this may take a few attempts), you should look at all the pages on your site and compare them to the site I built. If there are any significant differences then there might be a problem (please bring them to my attention).
Fifth (optional) Once you have the site installed, you might want to activate the "under construction" feature. This shields you site from public view, giving you privacy to work on the site without the concern that visitors might see the site looking a mess. You can find the under construction menu on the black menu bar:
If you hover your mouse over that menu option, a dropdown menu will appear. Click the on/off toggle to activate.
And that is essentially the entire install process. Your next step is to change the content, add your books, connect your mailing list, but before you can do that you will need to log in using this username and password. Please, for everyone's sake, change the password right away.
- password: UjHWErnWE47qUxLPV0e8
- username: new admin
Fifth (optional) The site comes with an under construction plugin. If you enable it, visitors will be shown a screen that says the site is being worked on. This gives you the chance to work on the site without worrying about what it looks like to the public.
If and when you install the site package, I would really appreciate any feedback you can give me. For example:
- If you can't successfully install the site package, let me know. I'd like to figure out why you had trouble so I can make sure no one else has the same issue.
- If you think the site is missing pages or features, please tell me what you would like me to add.
- If you know of another tool/process for installing the site package that makes it easier to install, I absolutely want to hear about it.
Please do send me your thoughts, requests, or suggestions: [email protected]
And of course, if you need help with installation or setup, you can hire me. I can also help you run the site, and I can even host it for you.